MATH AWARENESS MONTH - APRIL 2004
Linking to the MAM 2004 Website
Current MAM Home Page ||
Previous MAWs/MAMs ||
Using an icon for a link
For those who wish to make a graphical link to this year's Math Awareness Month website, two sizes of images are provided.
File name: mam04icon.gif
File size: 12K
Image size (pixels): W:175, H:132
File name: mam04icon80x59.gif
File size: 4K
Image size (pixels): W:80, H: 59
- Download the image:
Netscape: Right-click on the image, choose "Save Image As," browse to find the folder in which your web pages are stored, and save it there.
Internet Explorer: Right-click on the image, choose "Save Picture As," browse to find the folder in which your web pages are stored, and save it there.
- Use your web-authoring program to insert the image and make a link to the MAM website: /mam/04/
- Upload your revised web page and the image file.
More Detailed Instructions
Most web-authoring programs include an option to "import a picture." After you import the picture, select it and make the link.
If you prefer to insert the appropriate HTML code directly in to your web page, four versions of the code are provided below. Each assumes that you have copied that picture into the same folder as your web page.
<A HREF="/mam/04/"><IMG SRC="images/mam04icon175x132.gif" ALT="MAM 2004" BORDER=0></A>
<A HREF="/mam/04/"><IMG SRC="images/mam04icon80x59.gif" ALT="MAM 2004" BORDER=0></A>
- If you stored the image file somewhere besides the same folder as your web page, modify the filename in this command to indicate the correct path to the file.
- The ALT portion of the command is optional. It provides a text description of a graphic to help viewers who have turned off graphics or visually impaired people who have an automated reader for web pages that rely on this tag to properly "read" graphics.
- The BORDER portion of the command is optional. Setting it at zero means that, when you make a link from the picture, the browser will not insert a border around your picture.
- The WIDTH and HEIGHT portions are required. Use different values to adjust the dimensions of the picture. Compared with using these HTML attributes to shrink or enlarge a picture, however, resizing it in image-editing software generally renders sharper a graphic.
Mathematics Awareness Month is sponsored each year by the Joint Policy Board for Mathematics to recognize the importance of mathematics through written materials and an accompanying poster that highlight mathematical developments and applications in a particular area.