Mathematics, Statistics, and the Data Deluge
- "Q & A Aaron Koblin: The data visualizer," interview by Jascha Hoffman, Nature, June 7 2012, page 33
- "Big Data's Big Problem: Little Talent" By Ben Rooney, Wall Street Journal, April 29, 2012.
- "Why Statistics?" by Marie Davidian and Thomas A. Louis, Science, April 6, 2012, page 12.
- Science Needs More Moneyball, by Frederick M. Cohan, American Scientist.
- More Precious than Gold?, by Joseph Malkevitch York College (CUNY).
- Kaggle, "a platform for predictive modeling competitions. Companies, governments and researchers present datasets and problems--the world's best data scientists then compete to produce the best solutions. At the end of a competition, the competition host pays prize money in exchange for the intellectual property behind the winning model."
- "Joy of Stats" video
- "What 23 Years of E-Mail May Say About You," by Anne Eisenberg, New York Times, April 7, 2012
- "What do you want to know? Navigating the sea of data," by Greg McColm, Tampa Tribune, April 8, 2012
- "A data-driven war on crime," by Sharon Weinberger. Nature, April 5, 2012, page 16
- "US seeks to unleash power of 'big data'," by Ivan Semeniuk, posted on behalf of Helen Thompson. Nature news blog, March 30, 2012
- Make data more human, talk by Jer Thorp. This talk was filmed at an independently organized TEDx event.
- The Rise of Big Data.
Are datasets the most valuable scientific instrument? By Diana Friedman. The New York Academy of Sciences Magazine posted March 16, 2012.
- Avalanches of Words, Sifted and Sorted, by Anne Eisenberg. The New York Times, March 25, 2012.
- IBM Scoops up Mathematicians for Big Data Analysis, by Gabriel Knight. Info boom, February 28, 2012
- How Companies Learn Your Secrets, by Charles Duhigg. New York Times Magazine, 16 February 2012
- Communities in Networks, by Mason A. Porter, Jukka-Pekka Onnela, and Peter J. Mucha. Notices of the AMS, October 2009
- I.B.M.: Big Data, Bigger Patterns by By Quentin Hardy, New York Times, February 15, 2012
- The Age of Big Data by Steve Lohr, New York Times, February 11, 2012.
- What Are the Odds That Stats Would Be This Popular? by Quentin Hardy, New York Times, January 26, 2012.
- Data Analytics Company Finds Fraud Is a Friend by Quentin Hardy, New York Times, January 19, 2012.
- Data Analytics Can Backfire Without Experts, By Jeff Chasney. Information Week, January 10, 2012
- Colleges Mine Data to Tailor Students' Experience, by Marc Parry. The Chronicle of Higher Education, 16 December 2011.
- Tangled relationships unpicked, by Philip Ball. Nature, 15 December 2011.” A statistical method discovers hidden correlations in complex data.
- Big data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity
- If your data practices were made public, would you be nervous?
- Stephen Colbert Teaches proper data normalization
- Following Digital Breadcrumbs To 'Big Data' Gold
- Statisticians Have Large Role to Play in Web Analytics
- The Search for Analysts to Make Sense of 'Big Data'
- DNA Sequencing Caught in Deluge of Data, New York Times
In the News