PreparationThe Math Club, together with some sophomore Computer Applications and Programming classes will be participating in a field trip to the New York Academy of Sciences to listen to a software engineer, a worldwide web programmer, and a director of information systems on March 26, 1997. The club has also been preparing MAW posters to be displayed starting the end of March. Two sophomore sections conducted a survey on the computer and Internet skills of the tenth grade and the results were used to create, sort, and manipulate a data base file.
- Day 1: Survey of MNAHS student body on computer and Internet skills
- Day 2: Essay Contest : "My favorite Math Web Site"
- On the second day of Math Awareness Week, essays entitled "My Favorite Math Web Site" will be accepted from students. Essays are limited to 500 words and are in keeping with the Math Awareness Week theme of "Mathematics and the Internet." A selection committee from the Math Club will select two winning essays to be posted in the Math Club's Web Site. This is a fun opportunity for students to share their interests in mathematics in relation to the Internet!
- Day 3: Computer Games written and compiled by the AP Computer class
- Day 4: Family Afternoon: "On Internet"
- The Internet is rapidly becoming a reliable source for gathering information in a short period of time. As the world is becoming more computer oriented, as businesses and companies are relying more on the Internet, there is a need for educating people about it. McNair Academic High School's Math Club has organized a family afternoon entitled, "On Internet."
This session, on April 15 1997, will be held to educate families about the Internet. Various search engines will be discussed, such as Altavista, FTP, Excite, and Gopher. Parents will also learn about the advantages and disadvantages of using the Internet. Students will learn how to access this powerhouse of knowledge to gather information about school projects and difficult homework assignments.
- Day 5: Distribution of Math Club Newsletter
- Newsletter will contain the survey results, names of winners of Day 2 and Day 3 contests, list of math web sites, and an essay by a software engineer.
Mathematics Awareness Month is sponsored each year by the Joint Policy Board for Mathematics to recognize the importance of mathematics through written materials and an accompanying poster that highlight mathematical developments and applications in a particular area.